Learning a new language:
1. Enhances our brain power – and this is not a myth, I felt it on my own and many of my students are saying the same thing. Our brain is a muscle while we learn we train it and obviously we become smarter.
2. Increases our Memory – another wonderful side effect, learning a new language is ameliorating our memory. I am still making notes about the things I need to do or what I need to buy or meetings I have but I observed I do not need them anymore, I simply remember everything without an extra effort.
3. Develops our decision-making ability – I must confess I was very bad at this, I spent hours or even days thinking about whether I should do or not certain things. I feel a huge improvement in this area and I’m not stopping here.
4. Develops our multi-task working ability – I love this one, this is a must skill in our days, so many things to do all the time and so little time for it. While we learn a new language our brain is developing its ability to organise and schematize and later applies this skill in all spheres of our life. And it truly works.
5. Grow our self-confidence – I think this is a logical effect, our confidence is growing while we learn new things and we accumulate so many things while we learn a new language.
6. Expands our career potential – I never thought about it from this perspective before I start learning Italian but now I have a huge advantage while teaching Italians. I think this is applicable in any field, speaking a new language could help you in making connections, meeting new people, moving in another country etc.
7. Develops our communication skill – to learn a language presumes a lot of communication and practice always makes it better.
8. Enlarge us as life perspectives – I felt it right away, exchanging ideas all the time with people that were grown in another way helped me to see the whole world from a totally new perspective and this helped me to grow as well.
9. Changes our mindset – I must say that Italians are very positive, they always are smiling and they are making jokes and even the language has a certain musicality, all this, on the whole, made me more positive and of course, I smile more 🙂
10. Opens the door to a whole new culture – Seeing the language as a key is one of the best comparisons ever, with this key now I am able to read foreign authors or travel without a guide, learn from locals in a lost village how to cook authentic pizzafood from different places, the possibilities are enormous, probably I even don’t realise at this moment how this will truly change my life in the future but it is certain, I opened the door to a new culture which enriched me and continues doing so.
I am not at the end of my way but I must say that I enjoy so much the route that I even forget about the final goal. Learning a new language is also fun, a reason that was not on my initial list, it is something I discovered in time and it values even more than the rest.
What about you, could you think of a reason that is not listed here? Then please share it with everybody in a comment on this page and help others in their learning trip.
Thank you! (Victoria Dubasaru)😘😉